Bachelor of Commerce – B.Com

The three-year regular degree in Commerce (B. Com) nurtures commerce professionals with high level of knowledge and competence to effectively contribute to the society with commitment and integrity. The department offers advanced syllabi through learner-centered teaching methods such as case studies, role play, simulations, field visits and project work. Besides the regular program, the department also offers value added academic, extra-curricular and co-curricular programs.

Course Overview

  • The three year B.Com degree program is divided into six semesters.
  • It includes 30 core papers besides English & Language papers.
  • Students can choose any one of 7 Electives offered in the fifth and the sixth semesters.

Eligibility:
Candidates successful in the two-year Pre University Course of the P.U. Directorate, Government of Karnataka, with Commerce and Accountancy as optional subjects or an equivalent recognized by the Bangalore University may apply.

Objectives

  • To provide a strong foundation level understanding of the functioning of business organizations, commercial transactions and of various specialized operations such as accounting, finance and marketing by offering a comprehensive curriculum.
  • To develop necessary professional knowledge and skills in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Taxation, Export-Import management etc. by adopting learner centered pedagogical practices.
  • To Make every Commerce graduate eligible for professional studies such as CA, ICWA, ACS, MBA or other Masters Programs in Commerce / Management.
  • To enhance employability to be able to take up challenging job assignments in Accounting, Finance, Marketing or General Aptitude job openings.
  • To nurture the students in intellectual, personal, interpersonal and societal skills with a bent on Holistic Education.

The B.Com. Course is divided into 6 semesters. Each semester comprises of 18 weeks including the period of preparation for the semester examination. Right through the semester the student will be evaluated on a continuous basis. The Continuous Internal Assessment (CIA) will carry a weightage of 10% of the marks on which the student is evaluated. The End Semester Exam constitutes the other 90%.

Pedagogy

Regular classroom lectures shall be accompanied by other method instructors find suitable to deliver better learning. Such as:

  • Case Studies
  • Role Plays
  • Seminars and Presentations
  • Simulation Exercises
  • Current Affairs Sessions.

Core Subjects:
In each semester, core commerce subjects are offered with varying credits for each paper. A credit is a yardstick to measure the weightage given to a subject. The number of lecture hours per week is indicative of the credits attached to each subject. Each elective will have four papers, two in the fifth semester and two in the sixth semester.

Every Student is required to complete 152 credits (including language) in order to qualify for the B.Com. degree.

Electives:

  • Accounting Group
  • Finance Group
  • Marketing Group
  • H.R Group
  • Insurance Group
  • Taxation
  • Information Systems and Management